Nokia's patent as a weapon to aim at world market communications and networking. As Nokia now has only patents, no manufacturing, 'IP attackers' likely to turn into. For the purposes of this report we analyzed the IP activity of Nokia, including the patents it owns and the number of citations and as a result discovered the following implications. Nokia patents are cited by not only cell phone makers, but also communication service and equipment companies. In the top 11 technology groups exposed to the Nokia attack risk, a total of 3,475 companies cited a patent at least once in the past 10 years. ‘Patent citations’ is correlated with the ‘possibility of disputes. The Nokia patent threat is a key factor that will determine the success or failure of the communication and network market in the future.
- It appears that Nokia will pursue a ‘patent privateering’ strategy.
- Nokia’s patent portfolio is powerful.
- MS is supporting Nokia.
- More than 3,000 global enterprises are exposed to Nokia patent dispute risk.
- Nokia’s patent attacks are directly related to changes in the global cell phone market.
Table of Contents
2. Will Nokia turn into an attacker?
– Nokia lawsuit Properties
– Nokia IP Portfolio Construction
3. Analysis of Nokia’s IP competitiveness
– Nokia patent citations
– Nokia cited patent technology
4. Patent dispute risks of top 11 technologies
– Cell phone handsets parts division attack risk 40
– Cell phone component parts division attack risk 40
– Cell phone communication parts division attack risk 30
5. Map of top 100 patent disputes by country
– North America for Nokia patent attack risk map
– Europe / Asia Nokia patent attack risk map
– Global Nokia patent attack risk map