For the 10 years from 2004 through the end of 2013 LG Electronics (“LG”) faced a total of 215 patent lawsuits putting a drag on its operations. For LG to continuously grow, the company needs to make efforts to reduce its patent dispute risks and pre-empt future technologies. For this report we analyzed a slew of patent lawsuits and IP portfolios to diagnose the potential of patent disputes and future technologies of LG. As a result, we found the following implications.
- LG’s IP dispute risks are rapidly increasing.
- We picked the ‘top 5 dispute risks’ that will harass LG in the next 2~3 years.
- The most threatening NPEs are ‘InterDigital Technologies’ and ‘Rockstar Consortium.’
- We picked the ‘top 6 future technologies’ that LG is paying attention to by purchasing and registering patents.
- The future technology segment where LG is relatively vulnerable is ‘Image Analysis.’
- Smartphone litigation risks will determine the future of LG.
For LG to continuously grow and develop new industries, it cannot but avoid a patent war and technology competition with competitors. LG needs to reduce its exposure to patent dispute risks and preempt future competitive factors.
Table of Contents
2. IP activities surrounding LG Electronics
– LG Electronics’ patent litigation in the “period of management”
– Patent lawsuits brought against LG Electronics
3. Top 5 IP dispute risks of LG Electronics
– Technology groups involved in patent lawsuits brought against LG Electronics
– Technology groups with a high litigation risk
– Top 5 LG Electronics patent dispute risks
4. Top 6 future Technologies of LG Electronics
– Technology segments in which patents purchased by LG Electronics sharply increased
– Technology areas in which LG Electronics’ registrations sharply increased
– LG Electronics’ top 6 future competitive risks
2014.08 | Publisher : Electronic Times Research Center(ETRC)