The global 3D printer market is forecast to grow at an annual average rate of 19.3% to a scale of $10.8 billion by 2021. Accordingly, the number of 3D printer patents is also rising sharply. M&A’s are occurring actively centering on 3D Systems and Stratasys, who are the 3D printer market leaders. The results of our analysis of 3D printer patents and IP activities (such as citations and litigation) of the key global companies led to the following implications.
- the expiration of core patents, 3D printer market activation and expanded distribution are forecast.
- Top 9 technologies picked from the viewpoint of IP are thought to be the core technologies that will change the dynamics of the 3D printer market.
- As a result of our analysis of patent competitiveness, 3D Systems and Stratasys were found to be relatively superior for IP quantity and IP quality respectively.
- 3D printer specialists and global makers also embarked on securing 3D printer patents.
- Stock prices of 3D Systems and Stratasys display a similar pattern to the trends of the companies’ IP activities, such as patent citations, litigations and purchases.
Table of Contents
1. 3D Printers and the Business Environment
– Global 3D Printing Market Status
– Changes in Market Share according to M&As of 3D Systems and Stratasys
– Expired 3D Printer Patents
– 3D Printer Patents Scheduled for Expiration
– lAnalysis of Risks Associated with Key Expired 3D Printer Patents
2. Top Nine Noteworthy 3D Printer Technologies
– lTrend of Patent Registration according to 3D Printer Technology
– 3D Printer's Analysys abount Patent influence, IP activity and sharp rise in IP risk
– Top Nine Core 3D Printer Technologies
3. 3D Systems VS. Stratasys IP Competitiveness Analysis
– 3D Systems vs. Stratasys Relative Competitiveness Comparison
– 3D Systems vs. Stratasys Relative Competitiveness Comparison (Top9)
– 3D Systems vs. Stratasys Affiliate-registered Patents by Country
4. IP Competitiveness Analysis of 3D Printer Specialists
– Comparison of IP Competitiveness of 3D Printer Specialists
– Analysis of IP Competitiveness for the Top Nine Core Technologies
– Traditional Printer Makers(HP, Xerox..): No. of Patent Applications and Registrations by Year
– Companies Using 3D Printers(Boeing, GE..): No. of Patent Applications and Registrations by Year
2014.05 | Publisher : Electronic Times Research Center(ETRC)